What is noise nuisance?

Many people don't realise that excessive noise is classed as a form of antisocial behaviour.

Noise nuisance can be upsetting and disturbing, and can lead to reports of antisocial behaviour.

What is noise nuisance?

A noise nuisance is an unreasonable amount of noise which has a serious detrimental effect on your life.

Common causes of noise disturbance are:

  • neighbours' music systems, radios or televisions

  • music from pubs and clubs

  • noisy parties and functions

  • misfiring intruder, fire or car alarms

  • construction and demolition including DIY

  • barking dogs

  • buskers.

When deciding if the noise you are experiencing is classed as a nuisance, you should consider:

  • the time of day the noise happens

  • how long the noise goes on for each time it happens

  • how often the noise happens

  • what type of noise it is and what causes it

  • how loud the noise is

  • where the noise is occurring and the character of the locality.

What should I do if I experience noise nuisance?

The first and easiest thing you can do, is speak to the person responsible for causing the noise, and politely explain that you are being disturbed by it.

Although you may find this difficult, it is surprising how often neighbours are unaware of the problems they are causing. 

Most will be glad to do what they can to reduce the noise and appreciate a personal approach, rather than dealing with the matter formally.

What if speaking to the noise maker does not work?

If you are experiencing excessive noise disturbance, you should contact your Property Supervisor to discuss the matter.

You can also report noise nuisance to Newcastle City Council using their online form.

Out-of-hours, the council also provide a limited service to deal with emergency situations.

In an emergency, call 0191 278 7878 and ask for 'environmental health'.

What happens if I am reported for noise nuisance?

If any instances of anti-social behaviour are reported to us, we are obligated to follow our anti-social behaviour policy.

This would mean contacting you in the first instance of a report, issuing warnings, before contacting all guarantors and universities if reports continue.

We understand that there are two sides to every story, so we would be happy to discuss any instances with you if you feel the report is unfair - this would be communicated to guarantors and universities as well.

For more advice, or if you have any other questions regarding antisocial behaviour, please contact your Property Supervisor.

Walton Robinson